Sunday, August 22, 2010

Beggar's chicken, my kitchen version.







Mr snuggles and leo was like "what the heck is beggar's chicken?" when I told them I'm going to attempt to cook one.
And I was like 'you guys don't know what is it?its like the best chicken dish in whole world.lol.'
The name might be funny but don't be fool.In chinese restaurants it could be an expensive dish.Its not easy and take long time to cook.

I still remember eating the beggars chicken for the first time.
Its so mouth watering..*oh drools*

So here is my story in attempting to cook one.
Please take note that this is my first attempt in cooking beggars chicken.
I modify the recipe here and there.
The original recipe comes from Amy Beh and Videojug


My version doesn't taste the same like I used to eat in the restaurants *its still yummy k* but then that is experimenting is all about.
I add and delete some of the ingredients.
Kind of hard to look for some the ingredients here.
Definitely you can't find wine here.
So I omit that out.
Also goes to lotus leaves.
If you can find it would be great to wrap the chicken instead of using aluminium foil.

Ingredients:
Stuff everything inside.
1 medium size whole chicken, marinate it with salt and some sesame oil.Put in the ref for an hour or two.

For Stuffing:
Carrot dice
Mushroom sliced.I guess shitake mushroom would taste better but then I use button mushroom.
Ginger shredded 
Minced chicken or just cut it into small cube size.

Kneading was tough.I was like having a workout in the kitchen.
Sauce:
1 teaspoon Sesame oil
1 teaspoon cooking oil.
1 teaspoon light soya sauce
1 teaspoon dark soya sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

For the dough covering:
Flour and water.
Mix and knead the dough till its soft.*This is tricky for me because I never knead dough before.It look so simple when seeing other people doing it*


Preheat the oven at 200 celcius.
Cook the carrot and mushroom and chicken on the saucepan and mix in the sauce.
Stuff the stuffing into the chicken cavity.
Cover the chicken with aluminium foils.
And wrap the chicken again with dough.

Baked for like 3 hours.

Cracked open the dough.
and tada..beggar's chicken ready to be served.

*I only manage to bake for like 2 hours because I notice that the bottom part of the dough is wet.Some leakage, I guess from  the aluminium foil.The chicken is cook and the meat was soft but not till the level where the meat is easily fall off from the bones.*

One thing for sure,this would not be my last attempt to cook one.


On another note one my gerls had tried to make the mushroom soup and this is her version.








No comments:

Post a Comment